Where to start. Ok, from the beginning I guess. In January of this year (2011) I decided I wanted to learn how to knit. As you do. With some help and advice from the wonderful knitters of Dogpages (more about them later...) I ordered some wool and some needles from ebay.
Being, well, me, I wasn't patient enough to wait for them, so rummaging around in the kitchen drawer I found some chopsticks and some string pinched...I mean borrowed from work. It's amazing what you can achieve with some chopsticks and string.
So the wool finally came. Good job really as I think I reached the limitations of my string and chopsticks!
After many failed attempts (put it this way, cast on 36 stitches, and then find after a few rows you stop counting at 60 - I think that can be considered failure) I completed my first project - a scarf.
Too warm to wear but I was oh so proud of it. I'll wear it even if I sweat to death!
So then, what next? Another scarf? Boring. Socks. I want to knit socks. So with more Dogpages aid, encouragement and a fantastic book 'Getting started knitting socks' by Ann Budd (the sock legend it seems) Some socks were born. Many socks...
At this point, I decided I'd had enough of socks. Well, who can blame me? A jumper would be the next project. So several weeks later, and many new techniques, a badly fitting Guernsey was born.
Things carried on this way. Another jumper, some hats (I like hats), more socks, a kindle cover, cables, multiple colours. I was becoming adventurous.
Fast forward to 29th July. My birthday. 31 years old (and not much to show for it. Socks. And some hats). I was given some knitting books. I like books (although not as much as I like hats). One of them was a wonderful book - Blankets and Throws to Knit by Debbie Abrahams. I looked. I loved. Too much time, too much cost, too much wool. I work full time, run, swim, compete in and teach agility with Sasha The Fidget, my faithful mutt
I like the beach (although not as much as I like hats) so 'Beside the Seaside' seemed the logical choice. Lots of new techniques there and enough to keep a self confessed fidget and individual with a concentration span of a gnat interested enough to enjoy it.
The wool (or 'yarn' as the purists call it) was a problem. If I used what they advised in the book, it would cost me over £100. Also the colour choice had become more limited since publication. I visited a local wool shop and decided on a viable substitute. Unfortunately they don't stock the colours I needed, and were also £1 a ball more expensive, so off to the interweb I did go. I did buy a ball of red, and white to start - just to get a feel for it you understand. This was the result:
My first square. 'Nautical Stripes'. Not much in the way of complicated colour work, or beads, cabling or anything else that would tax your average knitter, but I did have to 'carry' the colours on the last row of the three each time. I am not renowned for my neatness but with this I am very pleased. Not pleased enough to show anyone though. Not yet. (read: she can't be bothered to get the usb lead again can she...oh go on then:)
So if you're still reading, well done. Have a break now, as that's all for today. I await the arrival of the more interesting colours and beads and will be commencing my first 'Punch' square when the happens.
I nearly forgot, this is the finished article I am aiming for:
I am hoping we will be able to play a good game of 'spot the difference' at the end of this blog.


Good Start, I think you've made enough hats and scarf's now though....
ReplyDeleteHave you tried Charity Shops for purchasing wool? People donate unused wool when they buy too much.
ReplyDeleteYou are an inspirtation to all us non-knitters out there.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the blanket.........it looks amazing.
What a fab idea for a blog! Can't wait to see how the blanket grows. You were my sock knitting inspiration :-)
ReplyDeleteLooking good so far!
ReplyDeleteYou realize that I will be checking up on you every day don't you? LOL
ReplyDeleteHmmm
ReplyDelete