Saturday, 3 September 2011

Multi stranded knitting. Fun for all the family. Or not.

So then, after about three days, and many re casting ons, Punch and Judy is born.

Ta da! Not too bad for my first colour work. Doesn't look like the square in the book though...




I am having some issues with tightness. I think proper knitters call it tension. Basically when I have to carry a colour it bunches things up. I have been told by my fabulous knitter colleague and line manager that my knitting is quite tight, which isn't a bad thing but can cause issues. It is also very chunky where I have carried the yarn. I can't think of another way to do this particular square. There would be so much stopping and starting with the red and white it would be a nightmare. It was bad enough managing this:
 





I have pinned it to the two other knitted squares and it does match size wise so would be ok when knitted together I think.
 
I am in two minds. Unpick and start again, or see how the next one goes. I am inclined to leave it and see. The chunkyness adds depth to the work, and gives it an individual twist. What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. I think I'd leave it and see - it looks good! You always have the option to unpick later if you need to, and very often any irregularities even themselves out once things are joined. You're doing a fantastic job and I love this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! Looks fantastic to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you are doing so well. I would never have tackled anything like this when I was a novice knitter.
    I think tension has a lot to do with how relaxed you are when you knit, and how you hold the needles as much as the yarn.
    You are doing really great.

    ReplyDelete